Baskets and boxes play a very important role in keeping your place clean and well organized. You can store your random stuff in them and save yourself from the hassle of searching them when in need. The best part is these storage baskets or containers double as cute decorative pieces.
But the problem is, when you go for purchasing such baskets, they come at a significant price and the material quality is also not that great. So, why spend your money on the things you can make at home?
Yes, in this article, we will show you how to make your own felt baskets that are not only very useful but look extremely cute – right from the comfort of your own home. You can use them in multiple ways, from storing your makeup to stationery and even laundry.
So, without any further ado, let’s begin!
MATERIALS YOU’LL REQUIRE :
- 4 to 5mm thick felt in any color you want
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Matching Thread
- Fabric soap
- Measuring tape
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN FELT BASKET
1.Use a round plate to draw a circle on the felt sheet. It will be the base of your basket. Also, the size of the basket will depend on the size of the base, so draw the base of any size you want. Moreover, if you don’t have a round object for drawing a circle on felt, draw a circle on a paper using a compass and cut it. You can now use it for cutting your base.
- Now, cut the other part of your basket. Depending upon the size you want, take length and breadth. Taking the width of the basket is a bit tricky. It should be equal to the perimeter of your circular base. So, you need to calculate the perimeter before cutting the width. Use the formula: 2 x 3.14 x radius of your felt base, to calculate the perimeter.
Once you get the size of the width, cut it accordingly.
- Now, simply pin both sides of the rectangular sheet and sew them using a needle with matching thread. By this time you’ll get a cylinder with 2 open ends.
- Next, take the circular base and pin it on either side of the cylinder and sew it. Your felt basket is almost ready but wait, where are the handles? Let’s add them!
- Cut two long felt strips according to the size of your basket. Pin them on the basket and sew them nicely.
- Voila! Your DIY felt basket is ready!
You can make as many felt baskets as you want using the same process. These can be used for storing any kind of stuff you want such as your makeup brushes, stationery, jewelry pieces, socks, hair ties, laundry, and whatnot. These baskets are very easy to clean and in fact, don’t get dirty too quickly. You can hand wash them with cold water but don’t put them in the washing machine.
Moreover, you can choose the color of felt according to your interiors so that they can match easily.